Sunday, August 2, 2026

Upgrading Yamaha PG1 Rear Shocks

After almost 2 years riding the PG1, now I have decided to change the stock rear shocks to a performance set. The stock started to feel very soft & sways on & off the roads. When hitting bumps, I actually feel the motorcycle chain is tightening which make the bike stuttered & I think that's also the reason why the chain easier in getting longer. I got the performance shocks from taobao platform for around RM300 including postage which so far a great deal for me considering popular brands like YSS from Thailand & SHOWA or OHLINS from Japan will cost 8 or even 10 times more. 

The stock looks very thin & simple. Well to be honest it's a good set of shock but just not good enough with my riding style. Anyone that rides PG1 would have agreed with me on the softness of the shocks & on the swaying part. 

Stock versus performance shocks where the performance looks a bit more solid & noticeably bigger. The performance one also has damping setting where you can simply twist with your hand to fit your riding styles. A twist on the left makes the bike bouncier and the twist on the right make it less & more less. I actually tried the setting & and it works. 

I started with the left shock as I need to wait for the exhaust on the right side to cool off first. The process is quite easy & simple, lower bolt is using ratchet number 12 & the above one using number 14. After loosen the bolts, the stock shock only needed a little wiggle to separate it from the bike. 

At first I was quite worried if the new shocks won't fit because of the sizes & after a few attempts I finally learned the tricks to fit them in. 

It looks like the shock might collide with the side racks component but luckily it didn't. 

Definitely more solid if to compare to the stock version & it feels less swaying too during my 50 minutes test ride. The damping is very good, less bumping on uneven road surfaces. 

No comments:

Post a Comment